Anthony Gismondi on Wine
Burrowing Owl Chardonnaytext

Burrowing Owl Chardonnay 2021

Oliver, Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, CanadaAt BOV, the Chardonnay remains classic California in style with abundant ripe, sweet fruit mixed with buttery, nutty, oaky vanilla. 2021 will be remembered as a scorching year with few cool nights, which made acid retention a challenge. Phenolic ripeness was more easily achieved, and the BOV estate grown chardonnay, mostly from original vines planted in 1993, was handpicked in late September. The bunches were hand sorted and dropped whole cluster into the press, where the juice was gently extracted. Some 75% of the juice was fermented and aged in barrels, while the remaining 25% was fermented and aged in stainless steel. The alcohol is a pleasant 13.5 percent, yet the flavours are bold, pitching peach, mango, and papaya with undercurrents of caramel and popcorn. It is an appealing style that is no doubt demanded by BOV buyers, but I see room for improvement here, like more complexity and a drier, more electric style. Ready to drink.Tasted: 19 September 2023Tasted by: Anthony GismondiPrices:
BC$34.00750mlwinery direct
AB$35.00750mlprivate wine stores
Producer: Burrowing Owl VineyardsDistributors: Appellation Wine Marketing
Le Sommelier Inc.
Grape: ChardonnayCSPC: 178806UPC: 688229001215