quicksearch
Anthony Gismondi on Wine
Gérard Bertrand Cigalus Blanc
92POINTS
17/20

Gérard Bertrand Cigalus Blanc 2018

Vin de Pays d'Oc, Languedoc, South of France, FranceCigalus is a Demeter certified biodynamic blend of 70/20/10 chardonnay, viognier, sauvignon blanc, ripening under a hot, sunny Mediterranean climate. Its deep soils, dating back to the Campanian secondary era, before the Pyrenees emerged, and were left behind by a nearby stream that conveyed limestone and just enough winter moisture to carry the vineyard through the dry summer growing season. The attack is intense and complex with grapefruit pith, floral, ginger, peach, and quince dominating the nose, followed by more grapefruit, pineapple, mango, and vanilla. Long and persistent, this is a terrific white wine mostly unknown to the wine world. The Bertrand team babies the vineyard, taking only moderate yields of 25 hectolitres per hectare. After a light static settling, some of the juice undergoes alcoholic fermentation in new barrels (70%), while the rest (30%) goes into stainless steel vats. It then spends 7 to 8 months – until the spring equinox – with regular stirring before a light fining operation and bottling. Demeter certified.Tasted: 22 April 2019Tasted by: Anthony GismondiPrices: BC 54.99 estimated retail price Producer: Gérard BertrandDistributors: Pacific Wine & Spirits Inc.
Blend: Chardonnay - Viognier - Sauvignon BlancCSPC: 588111UPC: 3514120107855