quicksearch
Anthony Gismondi on Wine
Quails' Gate Chenin Blanc
89POINTS
16¼/20

Quails' Gate Chenin Blanc 2016

Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, CanadaWinemaker Nikki Callaway likes to says she is talking to her chenin blanc vines, hoping to see what it wants to be in the future. The 2016 version seems to be where it wants to be. I could say it's super fresh and clean, but let’s add electric and enervating. Unlike so many heavy, weighty versions of chenin blanc, the 2016 is on the brighter side, seen in green melon, citrus, pear. The fruit is sourced from estate vineyards Mannhart and Osoyoos and in 2016 Callaway put 10 percent sauvignon blanc in the mix to great effect. The fruit is whole bunch pressed, then cold fermented in 80 percent stainless steel tanks with the remainder into 20 percent older French oak barrels and new 500 litre puncheons. Complex and delicious, it is quintessential Okanagan. Great value.Tasted: 23 June 2017Tasted by: Prices: BC 17.00 BCLS AB 15.00 SK 19.99 MB 19.00 Banville & Jones ON 23.00 consignment - Hobbs QC 20.05 SAQ NS 23.00 PEI 23.00 NB 23.00 NF 23.00 Producer: Quails' Gate Vineyards Estate WineryDistributors: Appellation Wine Marketing
Hobbs & Co. Wine Merchants Inc.
Grape: Chenin BlancCSPC: 391854UPC: 778856115031