Anthony Gismondi on Wine
Poplar Grove Chardonnaytext

Poplar Grove Chardonnay 2016

Naramata Bench, Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, CanadaSpring arrived very early and warm with bud break four weeks ahead of normal, but by summer wetter and cooler weather slowed fruit development and called for increased vineyard management. A long, warm fall with shorter days and cooler nights eventually allowed all the fruit to ripen. The wine is sourced from individual estate blocks located in Osoyoos (55 percent) and Naramata Bench (45 percent). Some 80 percent is fermented in stainless steel tanks while the remaining 20 percent is fermented in 228L new French Burgundian barrels - malolactic is allowed to occur naturally in the barrel fermented portion. The style is easy-drinking and very ripe. Candied pear and banana wafts from the glass. The attack is sweet and round with green apple/caramel/vanilla notes throughout. Simple and ready to drink.Tasted: 20 March 2018Tasted by: Anthony GismondiPrices:
BC$22.00750mlspecialty listing
Producer: Poplar Grove WineryDistributors: Trialto Wine Group
Grape: ChardonnayCSPC: 840975UPC: 626990241256