quicksearch
Anthony Gismondi on Wine
Château Pesquié Silica Rougetext
94POINTS
17½/20

Château Pesquié Silica Rouge 2018

Ventoux, Southern Rhone, Rhone Valley, FranceSilica Rouge is the latest and third single vineyard label from the Chaudière brothers Alexandre and Frédéric. Its name speaks to its sandy terroir, and the blend is predominately grenache (90 percent) with 10 percent cinsault. Post ferment, 25 percent is aged in concrete eggs, while the remaining 75 percent goes into older 600 litre oak demi-muids for 12 to 15 months to keep the wood influence to a minimum. The nose is an intense, bold slash of black cherries and strawberries laced with black licorice and violets. The palate is dense, with dark cherries and white pepper, and rich but rounded tannins. The finish is long, and the textures silky. Power and finesse is a rare combination, but when it appears, it is a winning combination, and it's all here in a deliciously powerful package. It is Ventoux at its best, as translated through the biodynamic lens. Lamb chops or a vegetable terrine work here.Tasted: 30 November 2020Tasted by: Anthony GismondiPrices: BC 54.99 select private retailers AB 47.29 select private retailers ON 64.95 consignment Fall 2021 QC 59.75 SAQ Producer: Château PesquiéDistributors: Appellation Wine Marketing
Blend: Grenache - CinsaultCSPC: 214112UPC: 3760149592947