Anthony Gismondi on Wine
Occhipinti Il Frappatotext

Occhipinti Il Frappato 2014

Sicily, ItalyHerbal, perfumed woodsy flowers, this biodynamic frappato is from 50-60 year old vines grown on Sicilian sands and chalk, at 280m altitude. 70 percent of the wine is macerated for two months on its skins, while the other 30 percent stayed on its skins for eight months. It was aged 14 months in large 25HL Slavonian oak barrels before a one month stint in bottle before being bottled unfiltered. An herbal earthy and salty cut lures you into this light bodied, expressive and beguilingly floral red, one held riveted with fine but ample grippy tannins. Frappato's florals abound; Iris, lilac, blue plum, sap and sweet salami lead the textural, rock dust palate to the salty mushroom bullion on the finish. Even better the second day, this intriguing wine is one for adventurous drinkers to return to again and again.Tasted: 02 March 2017Tasted by: Treve RingPrices: BC 49.99 BCLS Producer: Arianna OcchipintiDistributors: Sedimentary Wines
Grape: FrappatoCSPC: 664870UPC: 878969007152